General Practitioners in the UK - Application Process
General Practitioners are usually the first person a patient turns to for help and they deal with a whole range of health problems. They are general experts in the whole field of medicine for adults and children. They manage the healthcare of all their patients, including acute physical problems, long term conditions and mental health problems.
In order to apply for an opportunity as a GP in the UK you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have a recognised EU General Practitioner qualification
- Proof of the English level that can be one of these 3 options:
- IELTS Certificate 6.5 Overall Score with at least 6.0 in Reading or Writing
- OET Certificate with at least B Level in Speaking and Listening and at least C+ Level in Reading and Writing
- Cambridge Certificate of C1 Level
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Newly Qualified / Young Doctors are also accepted
Application Process Step by Step:
- Apply to job
- Get your English Certificate
- First Interview with the NHS
- Train for Clinical Exams
- Second Interview with the NHS
- Observational Post
- MCQ Exam
- Simulated Surgery Exam
- GMC Registration
- Supervised GP Work
- National Performers List Registration
- Start working on your own!
Type of Assessments you will need to pass while in this program
(in one year period)
The GP Induction and Refresher Scheme includes a number of assessments which will help the NHS to decide on what’s the best programme for you in order to meet your learning needs, experience and personal commitments.
IELTS Exam / OET Exam: Lower scores are accepted at the beginning of the programme, as per the information written above
MCQ Exam: It is a two-parts assessment on the evaluation of the essential competencies outlined in the National Person Specification and are based around clinical scenarios: PD (Professional Dilemmas) Paper and CPS (Clinical Problem Solving) Paper.
Simulated Surgery Exam: This will test your consulting and communication skills. It is intended to be like an everyday surgery in any general practice. Simulated surgeries are held in London where actors will play the role of patients with 10 minutes appointments.
Workplace based assessments: You will have regular workplace based assessments during your supervised placement at a GP surgery. These assessments include teamwork, clinical and communication skills based around observed consultations, case based discussions and clinical procedure observations. It also includes feedback from patients and colleagues.
FREE ENGLISH COURSES for EU GPs working in Norfolk, Waveney, Suffolk or North East Essex
- 3 Months Intensive Free English courses - IELTS or OET preparations
- Very generous monthly stipend while studying
- Fees for up to 2 attempts of the IELTS / OET exam will be paid by the NHS
- Offer Letter will be sent prior to starting the English courses (contracts are secured)
More info: Mara Oprea | email@example.com | 0040 (0)730.558.662
Watch here a Video Interview with NHS experts and GPs regarding this opportunity!